The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and after birth. Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
As a birth doula I recognize birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life and how important it is to provide the best options to enrich her experience in a positive way. I will assist the woman in preparing for and carrying out her personal vision of her individual birthing experience.
Understanding the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor, I provide emotional support, physical comfort measures, and rebozo connection technique for the woman and partner throughout the labor.
With an objective viewpoint, I support the woman by providing information she needs to make informed decisions. In addition, I facilitate communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers while advocating for and respecting a woman's decision.
According to DONA International, numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth:
• tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
• reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
• reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
• reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
• feel more secure and cared for
• are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
• have greater success with breastfeeding
• have greater self-confidence
• have less postpartum depression
• have lower incidence of abuse
O Rebozo é um tradicional xale Mexicano, utilizado pelas mulheres em suas vestimentas e que se torna uma poderosa ferramenta de conexão no trabalho de parto e pós parto para se carregar o bebê.
Através da utilização do rebozo é possível aplicar inúmeras técnicas de relaxamento, movimentação da pelvis o que proporciona um conforto maior durante o trabalho de parto.
Gena Kirby é uma ativista do parto humanizado e da formação gentil de famílias e uma das percursoras do ensino das técnicas de Rebozo nos Estados Unidos.
"A civilização começará no dia em que o bem estar dos recém-nascidos prevalecer sob qualquer outra consideração." Wilhelm Reich